Monday, June 22, 2009

Bathroom window surprise

We've got some new replacement sashes, to replace the aluminum windows that someone put in. So, on Saturday, I took out the aluminum window, and prepped the frame for the new sashes. I already stripped the trim on the outside, and the sill. I had a little bit of trouble getting the jamb liners in. I was using roofing nails to attach the clips at first, then switched to screws. The problem came when I went to install the parting bead at the top. It was way too small. So I measured the opening, then measured the window. It was only 30" wide, instead of 34". We couldn't leave it like that, so Deb came up with a temporary solution, until we can get a new sash. We took out the stool (the sill on the inside), and put the aluminum window back in there. The previous owner cut the ends of the stool off, so we need to replace it anyways. It works for now. Really aggravating though, these weren't cheap sashes. I talked to the window guy this morning, and he admitted that it was his fault. They're ordering new sashes, so it's probably going to be at least 4 or 5 weeks. Hopefully we'll have better luck with the rest of the sash replacements. I went out and got the stain for the windows an everything. Oh well, you can't rush this kind of thing.

3 comments:

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

I'm actually commenting on your plaster repair postings, but didn't want that comment to get lost.

What are you using as your patching material? Joint compound? Actual plaster? Something else altogether?

I'm hoping to buy a 1925 cottage, and I see a lot of plaster repair in my future.

For what it's worth, I have a lot of experience working with decorative plaster surfaces, but it has all been for theatrical scenery which doesn't have to last very long.

Derek said...

Hi Lisa and Robb, we used something called "concrete fill", I think it's gypsum plaster with fibre in it. Then I used a hot mud, to do the finish coat, which is just a joint compound that is mixed with water, but dries in a few hours even if you put it on thick. You may not be able to find "concrete fill" in your area, you could use a different hot mud. Actual plaster would be better, it's hard to find around here, and harder to finish, especially a large area, since you can't sand it.

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

Thanks for your reply.

I'm definitely going to seek out concrete fill.