Monday, June 13, 2005

Playhouse Progress

We got quite a bit done on the playhouse on the weekend. The siding is done, I used board and baton that someone made out of plywood, and covered our basement walls with it. Someone in their brilliance painted over the oil with latex paint. I thought I'd use this organic stripper I have, that washes off with the hose. Bad idea; now we have flecks of paint all over our backyard. If it ever stops raining this summer, maybe I can vacuum it up. I think I'll stick to the heat gun for the other 2 sides. It has a cool look to it though, with the peeling paint and the wood showing through, it looks like it's been there forever. I'm sure it would rot in a couple years though, so we have to paint it.

I got the porch framed in, and the roof on the main part of the house. I' m glad I had scrap plywood from doing the retaining wall, this house has a lot of plywood. I should have the roof shingled by next week. The kids can play in it in the meantime though. I think the gig is up on the helicopter landing pad, even though my daughter still calls it that.

4 comments:

Nick said...

Wow, that sure is big!

derek said...

It actually is only 6'x6', it does look huge in the photo, the door is only 20" wide.

Trissa said...

That looks like so much fun. It would also be a nice break to work on "brand new" construction from the renovating and remodeling. I don't want a new house, but a project like this looks like fun!

derek said...

I guess it's new construction, I'm reusing a lot of building materials though, which is making it take longer to build. I ran out of the salvage 3/8" plywood I was using to wrap the columns, now I have to find an alternative. And I thought I saved more than enough wood from the house.