Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Salvage Doors

We have some doors that we bought off of Craigslist a couple months ago. They've been sitting in the storage area under the nook ever since. I've been sanding/stripping the beams/columns in the basement, and needed a break from the belt sander, so I started stripping one of the doors. The door I chose is shellacked on one side, and painted on the other. I started on the painted side with the heat gun, stripped about half of it, then rubbed it down with methyl hydrate.


This the door partially stripped



This is the other side, after rubbing it down with methyl hydrate, and scrubbing the dirt off. Not bad for 25 bucks a piece, I do need to find some hardware though, hopefully that'll be less than 25 per door.



This is one of the columns and the beam I've been sanding. It was mostly unpainted, but was rough cut lumber, so lots of sanding. I'm going to give it a coat of Waterlox once it's sanded. I also poured concrete around the pipes that I fixed yesterday, so tomorrow I'll start on the shower stall.

3 comments:

Trissa said...

Great progress & the doors look great!

Patricia W said...

Your projects are coming along nicely, the doors are lovely!

Kelly said...

Wow...those doors are exactly like the ones in my Dayton, Ohio bungalow!