Thursday, February 17, 2005

Carbon Dating the House

When we first looked at our house, I thought it was from the 40's or 50's. Our home inspector guessed it was from the 50's by looking at the age of our furnace. Yesterday I visited the Vancouver City Archives. I have to admit, it's been a while since I've been in a library, it's so quiet. After looking through various microfiche, and looking through a couple of reels, I found the water connection record (you'd think they'd be on computers by now). I'd post a picture of it here, but it says I'm not allowed to make reproductions. It says the water was connected:

Feb. 13, 1928.

We're hoping we can reverse some of the bad decisions, and make it look like a 1920's bungalow. That would mean removing the stucco, to expose the original clapboard siding, and replacing the 1970's aluminum windows. We have to concentrate on the important stuff first though. It seems that the builder of our house lived down the block. I can't read his signature. Well, that's one mystery solved.

No comments: