Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Slow Progress

The basement reno has slowed to a crawl. I've been working 12 hour days, and that leaves very little time for renos during the week, and I'm working slower on the weekend as a result as well. I did manage to get the bathroom door hung, it's a small bathroom, and I found a small door to fit. If I do framing again, I'll be a lot more careful about sizing the doors. I don't think I got one of them perfect. The 26" door was a tight fit, I had to cut 1/4" off one side, and then hardly had to use shims it was so tight. I had to switch the hinges so the door swings the other way, so the 1/4" cut wasn't a big deal. I used the router to re-mortise the hinges, well most of the cutting, then a chisel to clean it up. I guess I pushed to hard on the chisel, and ended up splitting the door. I didn't think I was pushing that hard, I guess the grain was just right though. It glued back together pretty good, it's not really noticeable.
I took the door off the hinges to finish varnishing it. We're using Waterlox, that we got for the floors upstairs, then never ended up using, we haven't got around to sanding the floors yet. I put the shower rod up in the bathroom, the shower curtain we got at Ikea seems a little short though, I guess they're designed for bathtubs, not shower stalls. I should have some pictures soon, maybe this weekend, I have to get going on the vanity for the bathroom.

No comments: