Monday, January 14, 2008

You can't build it cheaper than Ikea

I'm building an armoire for my daughter, and I've come to the conclusion, that you can't build it as cheap as Ikea. I'm using the same crappy wood they use, it's knotty pine. And that doesn't include the labour of course, that's just the material cost. Here's an Ikea wardrobe. it's about a foot narrower, but the same depth and height, and it's cheaper than what I spent on materials. I just hope what I build lasts longer than Ikea, we have an entertainment unit similar to that wardrobe, and it hasn't worn well, I've fixed the doors 2 or 3 times now. The drawers are all broken et cetera. I'm getting a lot of practice for our next big wood working projects, first will be the basement kichenette cabinets, the the kitchen cabinets upstairs. We're going to build the ones along the wall with the fridge first, then we'll build the rest later. We're planning on using fir for the kitchen cabinets, it's a step up from knotty pine, that's for sure. I'm doing the doors for the armoire, cope and stick, I think we'll do mortise and tenon for the upstairs cabinets. It's a minor difference, but I guess it's the details that count.

No comments: