Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Some New Trim


I put the existing baseboards back on, on the weekend. We took them off to strip them and varnish them. The fit isn't perfect I noticed, I guess it's from the house settling, I'm sure the fit was tighter when the house was built. I didn't think of fixing it until it was nailed back on. I guess I'll live with it.
I started on the trim around the door today. I need to buy wood for the header, it's a full inch thick, so it's a little harder to find. I didn't really want to cut down 1.5", seems like a waste. I need to fix the plaster on the wall to the right, it was difficult getting the existing baseboard off. I got the baseboard on to the left. I can see that the wall isn't very flat where I fixed it, there's a lot of gaps between the wall and the baseboard. I don't think I have enough paint left to repaint if I repair it now. I'm going to repair it when we tear the ceiling off in a couple years. I have a lot of small repairs I'd like to do to the walls.

I got a pretty big splinter from the fir, while refinishing the door frame. Fir can be really splintery, depending on the orientation of the grain. I have a few days off work (unplanned, so I'll have to make up the time), so I'm going to see how much I can get done this week. I'm going to see about getting the 6/4" fir tomorrow, and we're going to look in to getting windows for the front and french doors for the dining room.

2 comments:

Rae said...

You might consider quarter round to cover the gap between the baseboards and the floor. Not sure if the qtr rnd is big enough, but it's a possibility (and it's really easy to install).

Best!

Derek said...

We plan on putting 1/4 round on once the floors are refinished(there's a piece of it lying on the floor in the first picture, that needs to be stripped). I just don't want to put it on, and have to take it off again.

I tried getting the 6/4 fir today, seems like it's hard to get, so I'll have to mill my own.